With our "Interesting Reads" blog posts, the EDUCAUSE Policy Office highlights recent articles on federal policy issues and developments that are directly relevant to members or provide insights on higher education policy in general.
- Getting Personal About Cybersecurity, Inside Higher Ed, November 22, 2017. (University of Massachusetts at Amherst put its student at the center of its cybersecurity awareness campaign)
- Should Laptops be Banned in Class? An Op-Ed Fires Up the Debate, Chronicle of Higher Education, November 27, 2017. (NYT op-ed flares up debate on whether students should be able to bring laptops and other technology into class)
- EU Regulations that are Enforceable Against US Higher Education Institutions, WCET Frontiers, November 27, 2017. (The EU's new General Data Protection Regulation may impact higher education institutions in the US)
- House Republicans Eye Sweeping Changes in Higher Education Act, Chronicle of Higher Education, November 29, 2017. (House Republicans are planning to release a bill to reauthorize Higher Education Act of 1965 that includes major changes)
- Net Neutrality Rollback Concerns Colleges, Inside Higher Ed, November 29, 2017. (Experts warn that dismantling Open Internet Order will negatively impact higher education institutions)
- How the Tax Bills Would Hit Higher Ed, Inside Higher Ed, November 30, 2017. (Senate and House tax reform bills' effects on higher education are compared)
- A Call to Reform Undergraduate Education, Inside Higher Ed, November 30, 2017. (American Academy of Arts and Sciences released a major study calling for numerous changes in undergraduate education)
- Introducing the Online Learning Efficacy Research Database, WCET Frontiers, November 30, 2017. (The new Online Learning Efficacy Research Database is a searchable database that will allow users find citations for published studies that compare modalities of instruction in higher education)
- National Data Breach Notification Proposed by Senate Commerce Committee Members, Cyber Scoop, November 30, 2017. (Three Democratic Senators introduced the Data Security and Breach Notification Act, which would create a national data breach notification requirement)
- GOP Begins Rewrite of Federal Aid Law, Inside Higher Ed, November 30, 2017. (House Education and the Workforce Committee releases their draft of reauthorization of Higher Education Act)
EDUCAUSE Policy tracks and analyzes the issues likely to have the greatest impact on higher education IT and works with members to inform public and campus policy development.