(January 22, 2016) EDUCAUSE regularly releases or joins public comments on issues of importance to higher education as a whole as well as to our community specifically. In the fourth quarter of 2015, we lent the association’s support to letters encouraging Congress to sustain a key student financial aid program, for example. While we focus on IT in higher education, we recognized the importance of financial aid to our member institutions and supported our fellow associations leading that charge accordingly. On matters closer to home, we contributed substantially to comments supporting open access in the Lingua journal case and asking the U.S. Department of Education to consult with the higher education community on its proposed open licensing regulation.
Please see below for links to the letters and comments EDUCAUSE signed last quarter. If you have questions or comments, please contact me at email@example.com.
- Letters on extending the Perkins Loans program:
- Amicus brief regarding the Fisher v. University of Texas case on the use of race as a factor in higher education admissions
- Letter of support from ARL, EDUCAUSE, ACE, and others for the open access position taken by the former editors of Lingua against Elsevier
- Comments on the funding and policy provisions of the FY 2016 House Appropriations bill covering higher education
- ACE/EDUCAUSE letter to the U.S. Department of Education on its proposed requirement for open licensing of all copyrightable material stemming from its direct competitive grants
Jarret Cummings is director of policy and external relations at EDUCAUSE.