EDUCAUSE presents the findings from its fifth annual Current Issues Survey. For the second year in a row, funding of information technology heads the list of the top-ten issues that IT leaders in higher education see as their most critical challenges.
Following up on his ideas published in EDUCAUSE Review in September/October 2002, one of the principal fathers of the Internet discusses R&D, security, IPv6, RFID, telecom regulation, ICANN, and the Interplanetary Internet.
The mergers of IT and library operations in higher education institutions are producing a new generation of information organizations, providing services and opportunities that neither IT nor the library can offer separately.
Arguments that question the value of IT to the academy or that lowball the opportunity costs of failing to harness technology to its full potential in higher education both reflect and fuel an arrogant, confident complacency that ignores underlying dangers.
Advertisers in This Issue
- 3Com (an EDUCAUSE Silver Partner), http://www.3com.com
- Adobe Systems (an EDUCAUSE Silver Partner), http://www.adobe.com/education
- Bluesocket, http://www.bluesocket.com/
- CDW-G (an EDUCAUSE Silver Partner), http://www.cdwg.com
- Cisco Systems (an EDUCAUSE Platinum Partner), http://www.cisco.com
- Computer Comforts, http://www.computercomforts.com
- Datatel (an EDUCAUSE Platinum Partner), http://www.datatel.com
- Dean Evans & Associates, http://www.dea.com/
- Dell (an EDUCAUSE Silver Partner), http://www.dell.com/hied
- Diebold, http://www.diebold.com/opccsol/
- E&I Cooperative Service, http://www.eandi.org/
- Extron Electronics, http://www.extron.com/
- HP (an EDUCAUSE Platinum Partner), http://www.hp.com/go/publicsector
- Microsoft (an EDUCAUSE Gold Partner), http://www.microsoft.com/education
- Motion Computing, http://www.motioncomputing.com/
- Sony Electronics, http://www.sony.com/videocameras
- SunGard SCT (an EDUCAUSE Platinum Partner), http://www.sct.com
- Ungerboeck Systems (an EDUCAUSE Bronze Partner), http://www.ungerboeck.com
- VBrick Systems, http://www.vbrick.com/
- WTC (an EDUCAUSE Bronze Partner), http://www.wtc-inc.net